Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 - A Year of Recovery and New Beginnings



We welcomed 2009 with sadness and hospital visits .. this trickled on up to late January until we finally let go of our little angel Sarie. Only then did we say that we were opening 2009 with "renewed hope and courage" And yes, this hope and courage saw us through since 2009 was full of challenges, discoveries, reunions, goodbyes, recovery and new beginnings.

Let me just give a random rundown of significant events, highs and lows for 2009.

(High) - The acquisition of Fort.5 . Our very own home :-) It was fun decorating and fun "playing house".

(Low) - The slow transfer of the our housing loan to Pag-ibig financing! It's been almost a year that we are ammortizing at the developer's rate-- it takes up more than 50% of our salaries.

(High) - It was a year of travel... Boracay with Mom and Dad. My Zamboanga visit, seeing Sam "in his element", riding a rubber boat and visiting Santa Cruz Island with friends Posbi and Peng. A posh Baguio retreat with my co-workers. Also my first Vietnam visit , seeing, shopping, tasting Ho Chi Minh City and doing the Mekong River cruise all by myself. Then there was Cebu and Bohol with the Guamen clan.

(Low) - Finding out that due to recession, my company cannot hire me as a regular employee. I was given a 3 day work week, where I was paid by the day.

(High) - Realizing that there are a lot of opportunities out there and that this might be the perfect chance for me to explore freelancing and entrepreneurship.

(High) - Being a reseller for Human Nature and being a direct distributor for Global Fusion, Inc. For 2009, I was able to recover over 50% of my startup capital for Human Nature, and I am inspired as ever to make these businesses grow. I am still learning, learning, learning...

(Low) - Typhoon Ondoy. I was stranded in the office up to late in the afternoon. My parents were stranded in the Fort.5 condo, and our house in Binan had chest deep water. Two of our vehicles were flooded. Costly damages :-(

(High) - Everybody in the family was safe and accounted for. Typhoons Ondoy, Pepeng, Santi left the Philippines grieving but also made heroes out of everyday people. The house in Binan was also made a relief goods packing center, it was great to meet and work with other concerned citizens

(High) - reunions with friends. The Fabellas' visit. Night outs with Ross. Tin's wedding and my Sagada weekend with Mel and Em. "Marry, Kill, Bop" night out with Jops, Ave and Kakay. Discovering Pogz' secret. Sigh. We should do friendship reunions more often.

(Low) - Sir Dody Naguiat's passing, he was a great motivator and teacher. Saying goodbye to dear friend Hector Ramirez (accident in Germany) and our friend Chris Pantaleon (killed in action, yes the very same posbi I mentioned in my first "high")

(High) - The end of Sam's assignment in Zamboanga. Thank you, Lord. Feels a little bit safer now.

More highs than lows! A lot are still running through my head. My first formal writing stint. Being a "freelance consultant". Not being sick, everyone being very very healthy. Meeting new friends. 3rd Wedding Anniversary. Christmas. The movie, Up. The movie, Avatar.

As for lows... these too, shall pass and will teach us valuable lessons in the process. Ring in the new year because we are oh so ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails