Friday, June 3, 2011

Bangkok (not) Dangerous



That's the title of Nicolas Cage's low budgeted movie which I hated. And the title of my document folder where I dumped all Bangkok-related files when I was preparing for this trip. The movie actually depicted Bangkok as a shady, conflicted place. With gunfights and riots and mafia. Well, there might be places like that here , and it did a good job hiding its shady things from me. For me, Bangkok felt safe, convenient and comfortable.

I am writing this in my hotel room at the the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit , Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok. It is right along the BTS Skytrain, Bangkok's very efficient mass transit system. It flew seamlessly , and though I haven't tried them -- they also have the MRT (subway, which goes out of the city) and the other line which could take passengers to the airport. And, just like my reaction upon seeing their humongous airport, I felt so jealous. Yes dears, I can honestly say that Bangkok (at least based on my very short stay) is better than Manila / Makati. Way better. I can even go as far as saying I would love to get the chance to be based here.




Rationale: No, I am not in Bkk for a vacation (I wish) , but I would love to take my family here. Probably my mom first because we will probably have more fun. Or maybe Sam and my dad would love to see the red light district(s) with all the ladies and lady-bois (so be careful..) I came here for a series of meetings with our global team, plus I was part of the organizing team of two big regional events , one promoting sustainable energy use, and one promoting better SME banking. I am the only non-banker / non-finance / non-engineer in our contingent, which I think, is an achievement in itself.

I really do not have much time for a full account of my experience, but let me share with you my top 3.




(1) The BTS Skytrain. I already talked about this earlier :-) I think they designed the Skytrain to connect all the great places together. It was so convenient to move from one mall / place of interest






(2) Excellent selection.... of merchandise, of places to go , of things to do. I think the choices here are comparable to that of the USA's. You can go bargain shopping on the streets, or you can go luxury shopping in the malls.


Funky art shop at Chatuchak Weekend Market (shopping heaven!) I bought a painting. I think Bangkok offers a lot of opportunities for one to grow his or her art.

(3) Oozing with a unique, charming culture (and cuisine) . I think it is just so different from other places. Little temples are everywhere, the quaint alphabet, distinct Thai architecture and art and crafts. Unlike in Manila where it seems like you are in a confused Western country. You cannot blame tourists from picking Thailand over Philippines as a destination if they want to experience some Asian culture. Oh, but I bet our beaches are still better - and we speak better English (but I don't think that could take us anywhere near the fast paced Thai development - I am not familiar with their political situation... there may be corruption, but at least they get to serve the people.)

Erawan Shrine - situated in the middle of posh malls and hotels.




Curried crab got 1st place for me during this trip. Somboon Seafood, a 10-minute walk from National Stadium station and MBK Mall




I am cheating because THAI FOOD deserves a number of its own but it will then become top 4 :-) I never liked spicy food - but mix in a little bit of coconut milk, Thai curry, a bit of lemongrass and I can handle it. ;-)

Okay , better finish packing now and I head off to breakfast! More to come later.

1 comment:

  1. Do not use all of these Private Money Lender here.They are located in Nigeria, Ghana Turkey, France and Israel.My name is Mrs.Ramirez Cecilia, I am from Philippines. Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Fast Legitimate Loan Approval he help me with a loan of $78.000 some days ago after been scammed of $19,000 from a woman claiming to be a loan lender from Nigeria but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $78.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 Email:(fastloanoffer34@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails