Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mochi Madness

It started with this recipe I found in a magazine:

Go ahead, try it :-) 

It looked simple enough and not that expensive. After my ChocNut Cheesecake adventure with Tonyo a few weeks back, I was eager to try another dessert. It was easy enough to find the ingredients (Glutinous rice powder, same stuff for espasol and palitaw ; water ; sugar ; ice cream) I chose plain strawberry (Even if I was tempted to use salted caramel! I have to make room for error and not waste the ice cream. This was my first try after all!)


The recipe can probably make 10-12 good mochi -- Practice Well!

It's pretty basic. Mix the rice, water, sugar. Cook using the microwave (cooking time depends on the microwave, you just have to get the correct consistency). Cool the dough. Cut into 0.5 mm thick circles 3-4 inches in diameter (I used a round ice cream container cap). Scoop ice cream. Close and mold.

Lol. As you can see, I was okay until up to step 4 in the photo. I had trouble closing the mochi balls so they turned up like fat siomai balls, haha. The ice cream was getting too runny, and I couldn't get the dough to close! So much for the perfect mochi!

Ah, but after freezing them again and not minding their siopao like appearance -- the mochi had perfect consistency and taste :) I will definitely try this again.

Reminders:
1. Have a container of cornstarch handy when kneading and rolling the dough. It gets sticky after every roll and you might waste a lot of dough.
2. Make sure your ice cream is really really stiff and frozen. This will help you scoop it into the dough and it is easier to close without the ice cream getting runny
3. Do not put too much ice cream
4. It would probably help to be in an air-conditioned kitchen!


We may have had flat mochi. But I had a happy Tonyo , who did some of the dough rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails