Monday, December 6, 2010

The Little Engine that Could

Do you know that story? I vaguely remember watching an animated version when I was young. A quick search on the web got me this .. (Wikipedia)



The story of the little engine has been told and retold many times. The underlying theme however is the same - a stranded train is unable to find an engine willing to take it on over difficult terrain to its destination. Only the little blue engine is willing to try, and while repeating the mantra "I think I can, I think I can" overcomes a seemingly impossible task.


An early version goes as follows;
A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill "I can't; that is too much a pull for me," said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little
switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I--think--I--can, I--think--I--can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."





The animated clip of the engine wheels turning vividly replayed itself on my mind the whole of last week. This was because of an extraordinary task given to me in the office :: to present the highlights of our program to the Donors Meeting. As a private sector development organization, we receive thousands of dollars worth of donations from different governments, so we are accountable to several embassy representatives.



My Pinoy boss was in the United States. Our Slovak colleague had to be in Cebu for a training. Our regional bosses preferred to have someone personally deliver the report-- so it was only the little engine in the office left -- Me. When someone questioned my capability, my boss said, "She's the one who writes everything anyway, so she should be able to do it.." When I questioned my boss he told me, "Gusto mo bang habang buhay taga-gawa ka lang ng report? Ikaw na."



Oh well. I think I can. I think I can. From my extended maternity leave I was called to be in the office for a dry run infront of our Russian regional boss (who turned out to be a very nice lady by the way) and some of the other bosses in the office. I did not try to hide my nervousness and they were good with it. It was a mixture of nerves and pride when I saw my name printed on the agenda -- my "program assistant" title on the same level as all the "operations officers"

So I did. Infront of our bosses, our donors, and via beamed video and audio to our offices in Hong Kong and Beijing, and to some people who were in San Diego, USA. Turned out okay, I guess.

What I found out is that -- bosses pass notes, too. Hehe.




A passed note from one of our operations officers before and after my presentation

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails