Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Show them you deserve it

I got promoted last January.

I have never been promoted at work. At least, not in this (what I would call) movie-type kind of fashion. In one of my previous jobs, I changed titles but I still wouldn't consider that as a promotion. This time , I went through the promotion process in our company , which was like applying for a new job.

I submitted a justification for my promotion and underwent a series of interviews. I had a total of 9 interviews: the regional HR supervisor, my two former superiors, my current boss, the boss of the country office, someone from another department whom I have worked with in the past, our regional boss, and someone from the same company who is totally unrelated to our program. Due to the global nature of our job, some of the interviews were done outside the country or through conference call.  Although I knew most of them and subtly knew they were on my side,  it was still nerve wracking !

It was a big deal because I was moving from an administrative support post to a program level post. For the admin level , the post that I had was pretty much end of the line for admin staff (don't get me wrong though, I feel like our organization presents good opportunities for administrative professionals! I just think it is not my line) . With this promotion  , I am like catapulted to a world of endless possibilities where I can really grow within the organization.  

I thoroughly enjoy immersing myself in our program, and I guess that was why I was willing to go beyond my admin tasks before to get really involved in program implementation. I am glad they saw that in me and offered me this opportunity. I am also luck to have very supportive bosses.

However, this new post is overwhelming - that sometimes I can't help but wish I am back to being Program Assistant. Where I exceeded expectations and performed above my grade level. But now, I then have to strive to perform above par and show them that I really deserved the promotion.

It makes me giddy with excitement but it also makes me chatter in fear. Right now I am in Jakarta, Indonesia, not for training (which is usually the purpose when you get out of the country for admin staff) , but on "official mission". I have been pulled out temporarily from our Philippine program to contribute to the Indonesian program -- and I don't want to disappoint them.

Dear God, thank you so much for the blessings that you keep on showering our little family with. Please grant me the strength , confidence, and responsibility to be able to handle all of these.

2 comments:

  1. Ate Hannah, congratulations!!! You totally deserve it! I'm sure you'll do very well in your new post - as you always have. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails